Hey folks, in this module, we are going to discuss how to speed up WordPress site in 5 minutes, and why page speed matters on website ranking factor, and more. So let’s start.
There are a lot of methods to increase the speed of WordPress sites, you can do it manually and also with the help of plugins. In this tutorial, we will try to increase our web page speed with the help of the WP Rocket plugin. If you do not use the plugins and want to do it manually, then I will also give a solution for this. So let’s go into the deep of the model.
Why page speed matters on website ranking?
See, long ago, page speed did not matter in the ranking of the website, it only spoiled the user’s experience. If the speed of your web pages is slow, then the user used to give bounce back, which would have reduced the SEO ranking when more bounce-back came. But now according to Google core update 2020, page speed will also be a factor of website ranking.
Google has divided page speed into 3 categories
- Red zone – If the page speed of your website is between 0–49, then it will come in the red zone.
- Orange zone – If the page speed of your website is between 50–89, then it will come in the orange zone.
- Green zone – If the page speed of your website is between 90–100, then it will come in the green zone.
If your page speed is good in comparison to your competitors then you have a very high chance that your keywords will come to the top in search engine result pages and if the page speed of your website comes between 90–100, then you will not get any error from google webmaster (Core Web Vitals).
How to Check Website Speed?
There are already a lot of tools available in the market to check Website Speed, but I am going to tell you about 2 official tools in this tutorial, which I personally use a lot.
- Google PageSpeed Insights
Google PageSpeed Insights
When you search this Google PageSpeed Insights, then the website of google developers will come to the top, you just open this by clicking on this URL and enter the URL of your website in the URL field and click on Analyze. Once clicking the Analyze button, it will take at most 1 min and will tell the speed of your web page.
When you search this GTmetrix, then the official website of GTmetrix will come to the first position, you just open this by clicking on this URL and enter the URL of your website in the URL field and click on test your site. Once clicking the test your site button, it will take at most 1-2 min and will tell the speed of your web page.
What Slows Down Your Website?
If ‘Yes‘ so there are many reasons to slow down website page speed, I am going to cover all the reasons in this tutorial, if you address all these issues and resolve them, then you will not need any plugins. This paragraph is helpful for those people whose own site is made on custom coding, and for those people whose site is built on WordPress, I will tell you a plugin below, you can use to optimize the page speed of your website. If you do not want to use any plugins, you can also follow the steps given below.
- Unoptimized Images
- HTML not Optimized
- CSS not Optimized
- Server location
- Not Using a Content Delivery Network (CDN) service
- Bad Hosting
- Using 3rd party resource
- Multiple redirections
- No using Gzip compression techniques
How to speed up WordPress site in 5 Minutes
You can optimize your WordPress sites as well as custom sites by following the above steps, which will be done in 5 minutes in a matter of time. I am going to elaborate on the above steps here so that you do not have any problem working.
- If the size of your images is more than 100kb, then you need to optimize the images because the size of the images also takes time in web page loading, so if you want to increase your page speed then optimize the images.
- If the HTML code of your website is not optimized, then optimize it so that the speed of your website can be increased. To increase the website speed, remove unused HTML and compress all over HTML code.
- If the CSS code of your website is not optimized, then optimize it so that the speed of your website can increase because it takes more time than all. You can compress the CSS code to increase the website speed.
- Sometimes the speed of the website also depends on the locations, if your server is in the USA and your customer is visiting your website from India, then it will take time to load the website on its device. If the same customer is visiting your website from the USA then it will take less time to load on his device. CDN is used to solve this type of problem.
- You can access your website from any country with the help of the Content Delivery Network (CDN) because the same speed will be available from every location. I would recommend you to use it definitely.
- The bad hosting provider can spoil your web page speed, if you have taken the hosting of low quality in which RAM or resource is very less, then you may have an issue of 500 (server does not respond) which is page speed. In addition to effecting, it also promotes bounce back.
- If you use any type of 3rd party resource like google Adsense, login API, fonts, etc then all this also slows your page speed, So you try to use them sparingly.
- If you are using multiple redirections in your website, then reduce it because it also slows the page speed.
- If you do not use Gzip compression techniques, then you should use this, this increases your web page speed greatly, you can do it with the help of the .htaccess file.
How to speed up WordPress site using WP Rocket
Let me tell you in advance that WP Rocket is a paid plugin, it is available for one year for 49$. By the way, a lot of plugins are available in the market such as W3 Total Cache, WP Super Cache, WP Engine Caching, etc. I have used all these plugins, but this is nothing special, I would recommend to you that if you can take paid service, then use WP Rocket only if you want to use it for free, then any of the above plugins If not, then you can manually do what I have told in this section “How to speed up WordPress site in 5 Minutes”.
I am going to tell you about WP Rocket in this tutorial, if you want to use WP Rocket, then you can continue this lecture. So let’s start.
First of all, buy the WP Rocket plugin and add it to your WordPress and go to the Settings section of WP Rocket.
Step 1. Cache
Go to the basic cache section and under the mobile cache tick mark the “enable caching for mobile devices” if you want, you can also tick mark “separate cache files for mobile devices”, and click save changes.
Step 2 File optimization
Step 3 Media
Go to the media section and under the lazyload tick mark the “enable for images, enable for iframes and videos, replace youtube iframe with preview image” and under the emoji tick mark the “disable emoji” and under the webp compatibility thick mark the “enable wp-cache” and click save changes.
Step 4 Preload
Go to the preload section and under the preload cache tick mark the “activate preload, activate sitemap based cache preloading, and XML sitemap” and click save changes.
Step 5 Add-ons
Go to the add-ons section and under the one-click rocket add ons tick mark the “google analytics, Facebook pixel and varnish” If you use them then only tick mark if not then give the default by the end and click save changes.
By the way, I have not told you all about the Advanced Rules, Database, CDN, Heartbeat, and Image Optimization settings because you do not have to do anything in these sections, you can leave all these sections as it is. There is no need to change, you just follow the above 5 steps, your web page speed will be 90+.
I hope that you will like this tutorial, I have told you all about this how to speed up WordPress site through both manuals and plugins so that you people will not have any problem.